Monday, September 11, 2017

Expired Film

Using expired film has been an experience that seems to keep me "fresh". Excusing the irony, it is true. Film as it ages seems to change in sensitivity, by color, unevenly and at different stages plain impossible to predict. Every roll is different in my opinion. I have had a batch of the same brand, same iso, same expiry date and every one of them have given me a run for my money almost by exposure. Not even consecutive exposures can actually be copied and pasted (presets) and go on with my happy go lucky day.

















In this variety of shots you can see that the colors are kind of unpredictable. some are way too blue, others showing degradations that are unique and beautiful in their own right. Reds come out in some, blues flood everything in others. At this point, it is hard to tell what is going to happen every time I shoot some expired roll. It is exciting in many ways as it is impossible to predict.
Homework for myself is to learn about the inversion process and how to use the histogram to do so more efficiently. I guess I got my topic for my next time.
Thanks for reading.

No comments: